Being a basketball coach requires a unique lifestyle that, unless you’re a coach, is difficult to fully understand. It has its quirks, its ups and downs, and offers something new everday.
So, without further ado, you know you’re a basketball coach when….
1) Being at home during the season basically means you’re sleeping.
2) A hot summer gym bothered you as a player, but now excites you.
3) Coaching your team can drive you into therapy, but also is your therapy.
4) Your pockets are full of dry-erase markers by the end of a game.
5) You’ve lost more dry-erase markers than you can count.
6) You’ve stayed up an entire night replaying a loss over and over in your head.
7) You’ve thought about kicking a ball in practice when you’re frustrated, but you refrained out of fear it’ll be a bad kick.
8) You switch your defense and your opponent immediately scores, you say “I KNEW THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!”
9) You spend more time with the coaches on your staff than lifelong friends.
10) You watched your team in warm-ups and knew it was going to be a rough night.
11) You are convinced you can still outshoot any player in your program.
12) You draw up a play on your board & it looks like trigonometry by the time you’re done.
13) Your players fear the words “on the line.”
14) You’ve gone into a practice angry & left in a good mood.
15) You’ve gone into a practice in a good mood & left angry.
16) You look at the stats after the game and had no idea one of your players scored so many points.
17) You’ve started less-talented players to send a message.
18) The smell of the gym is something that has become natural to you.
19) You’ve gone blank during a pre-game speech.
20) There’s no better feeling than drawing up a play that works to perfection.
21) Tournament preparation means little sleep and lots of caffeine
22) You watch an opponent’s play and think “I’m going to add that one to our playbook.”
23) You’ve used your hand and fingers to diagram a play
24) You’ve gone from friends to mortal enemy back to friends with an official through the course of a game
25) You wouldn’t trade coaching for anything in the world.
What other things would you add to this list? Let us know in the comments!